Wednesday, April 13, 2011

74. Give Blood

 We can thank my Dad for this one! I had told him with plenty of reservation that I would go with him next time he gave blood, little did I know that was only a few days away. So yesterday at 4:30 he came into my office and asked if I was ready to go give blood.. Tanya, I said to myself, get going, this is important and it's on the list!

So off we went to the High School Gym, my Dad being the ever eager donor had an appointment and was taken in right away. No problem.. I would meet him inside, after a registration, a quick run down of what was going to happen, and I first timer sticker, I was in.

My Dad with his extensive knowledge told me what would happen next and once that was done, answer the questions as quick as possible to "jump ahead" not an easy task for a first-timer. I got up to the first station, to check my iron and register on the computer system and sign a form. The set up is incredibly efficient.. props to the Winnipeg Blood Donor Clinic! We did however, had a mix up with my birth date, once that was sorted out.. it was the finger prick, my iron was too low... now I'm thinking am I going to be refused, no worries, they'll just try again... good to go!

Off to the next station... questionaire, right.. mark fast to jump ahead, I tried I really did, I may have jumped over one person, more likely I was probably jumped over, but as I'm sitting there waiting for the next station (the personal questions station), I realize I was in such a hurry to jump over donors, I hadn't read the instructions properly, I was suppose to colour in the boxes not check mark them, so here's my dilemma, I could go back and fill them in, but the lady already has my card in slot waiting for my turn. I'm up, into the personal questions station.. easy peasy, blood pressure a wee bit high, but I was nervous and for a first timer.. she said it was pretty normal.

Off to the chair, phew.. starting to sweat. They get me set up -- tipped back further than most, because I'm a first timer, with things taped to my arm and a girl comes over with a dozen of those blood bags, now being a first timer, I had to ask... "Am I suppose to fill ALL those bags?" NO no.. just one. Phew, pulse regulating. So, as the RN is finding my vein, she's telling me to make a fist, ok, the tubes are wrapped around my thumb, so it wasn't very tight, she goes and gets a stress ball, we sort out the tubes and I start pulsing the stress ball.. perfect, veins are out in full force! So, it's time, she pulls out the needle and I'm thinking.. that has to go in my arm? Holy crow! Again a tight fist.

So in goes the needle, now they kept telling me if I feel any change in how I feel I should let them know, now between you and me, I had my fist squeezed so tight, it fell asleep. As they're taking the vials of blood to test, I'm thinking is this normal.. maybe I should ask, of course I did not, and my hand finally came around. "So, how long does this usually take, I mean how long before I've filled a bag?" Nurse says.. "Well anywhere from five to 15 minutes, but probably, closer to 15 since you're a first timer". Ok, relax Tanya, I'm thinking.. this will take a while. The vials are full, and she leaves for a few minutes and comes back tells me I'm done...

Conversation that ensues
Nurse 1: "Ok, wow you're done"
Me: "Pardon? I'm finished already"
Nurse 1: "Yes, four minutes, 20 seconds. That's incredible. Are you feeling ok?"
Me: "Yup"
Nurse 2: "You're done already, are you feeling ok?"
Me: "Yup"
Nurse 2: "You better stick around for a bit longer"
Me: "ok"
Nurse 3: "You're finished, wow, that was fast, are you feeling ok?"
Me: "Yup"
Nurse 3: "Ok, please make sure you eat and drink, you sure you're not feeling light-headed or dizzy?"
Me: "Nope, I'm good, thanks"

Now my only explanation for the championship blood, is nerves. That blood was definitely coursing through my veins last night, I was nervous! It really wasn't nearly as traumatic as I thought it would be, and we should all do our part and give a pint! I'll be doing it again for sure! My goal is to beat my record!

As a little side note.. I beat my Dad's pint of blood by two minutes!
I wouldn't have done it without him, he's very convincing! Thanks Dad, I'm glad I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment